When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
People choose rhinoplasty surgery for a variety of reasons ranging from the medical to the aesthetic
Below are just a few reasons that might factor into the decision to have a nose job:
- Breathing problems
- Low self-esteem due to the size, shape, or symmetry of the nose
- If there is a bump on the bridge of the nose or the tip is drooping
- Some patients may feel their nose is too big, too wide, or too high
- The nose is not proportionally equal with the rest of the face
As with any type of cosmetic surgery, there are both pros and cons
Pros and Cons
By doing a bit of homework, however, and having realistic expectations, the benefits often outweigh the drawbacks.
- Better self-esteem – a more aesthetically pleasing and symmetrical appearance can make you feel better about yourself
- Correction of defects, such as deformity or a deviated septum
- Better health – breathing easier, sleeping easier, less sinus infections
- Discomfort from surgery
- Post-op care needs special attention
- No assurances that it will be exactly what you want or look better than before
Rhinoplasty surgery, like any other surgery, has some risks. Before you have the surgery done, it is important to make sure your doctor knows all the medications and supplements that you are taking as well as any allergies you may have to medications or things like latex, etc. It important that you and your doctor go over all this information. Discuss what you want to have done and what you expect to get out of the procedure. This will give your surgeon a good idea of how they will be able to help you.
Will I get the nose I want with just one surgery?
This question is difficult to answer, as there are many factors involved. If the purpose of the surgery is to fix a defect only, one surgery may be all you need. If you are getting a defect repaired for better breathing as well as to change the appearance of your nose, then you may need more than one surgery. At the time of your consultation, your surgeon will examine your nose to determine what needs to be done to help you get your desired results.
Finding the right doctor
Finding the right doctor for you can be difficult. Here are some tips to help you find the right doctor:
- Ask for referrals from your family doctor or from your family and friends.
- Look for someone who has experience in doing the procedure you wish to have performed.
- When you have your consultation with your doctor, ask to see a portfolio of before and after pictures of previous patients.
- Ask for recent patients’ references or testimonials.
How long will the results last?
The results of rhinoplasty are long lasting, and for that reason you need to be sure exactly what you want before you have the procedure performed. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon after the surgery at set intervals and follow his post-op care instructions to the letter.
If you need help or have more questions about rhinoplasty, contact our office and schedule your consultation with Dr. Torgerson today.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Cost Of Rhinoplasty In Toronto
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- History of Rhinoplasty
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Nose Surgery Overview
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.